Friday 9 November 2012

Friday Flash Fiction - week 24!


Dinner for Two

Jeff and I were on our second date in as many weeks when I realised I must be pregnant. Looking at the extensive menu, everything repulsed me. The thought of meat made my stomach flip like I was on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers.

“What can I get for you?” the young waiter with the tongue piercing asked. 
“Uhm, I’m not sure,” I replied.  
“You okay?” Jeff asked. 
“Yes, fine.” I looked up at the waiter. “I’ll have the Caesar salad, please. Without chicken.” 
“And I’ll have the steak, medium-rare with blue cheese sauce,” Jeff said. 

Jeff was the new Assistant Department Manager. I’d been out with him for ‘after work drinks’ with the others a few times and always flirted extensively as I wanted him to know I was interested. After a couple of months of playing hard to get, as I’ve learned you should, last weekend we had our first official date. He’d taken me to a lovely place a short drive out of the city, set back from the road and surrounded by rose gardens. 

“You sure you’re ok?” he asked when the waiter disappeared into the busy, steaming kitchen with our order. 

I was racking my brains trying to remember when my last period had been. “Yeah, fine, just not that hungry.” 
“That’s a shame.” 
“A salad’ll be fine.” Crap! It was about six weeks ago when I’d gone to the spa with Ange. Holy crap!

Well, I guess tonight would be Jeff’s lucky night after all. 
L. Besley



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Flash Fiction diary

A couple of weeks ago I was approached by the Artipeeps website to launch a flash fiction element to their site, 'Flash Fortnightly'. I am very excited about playing such an integral role. Click here for the launch and very first 'Flash Fortnightly': Runaway Baby

This week I had my third piece published on the Unofficial Blog for Brit Writers and Writers Everywhere! Click here for Don't be Afraid to Show Your Work to Others

I've also stepped, rather gingerly, into the 21st century and have set up a twitter account! If you'd like to follow me, I can be found bumbling my way through this technology @laurabesley 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Flash Fiction is short enough to read whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil. It's fairly quick to write too, but with it being so short, every word has to count. 

On 4th May 2012 I decided to embark on a project: to write a piece of Flash Fiction every day. I'm hoping this will keep the creative juices flowing and ultimately help me hone my craft. Every Friday I'll be posting 'the best of the week' onto my blog for you to read. If you have anything to say (good or 'constructive'!), I'm open to comments.  

Thanks, as always, for reading. 

14 comments:

  1. Ha! Very clever, though she is somewhat sneaky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sneaky! What does that say about me?!

      Delete
  2. You might want to hold the steak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... What can we say? Poor Jeff or Lucky Jeff? Cleverly done though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun and got me interested straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh, the little minx. Oh well, let's wish all three of them a happy future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Very nicely done. Jeff, you're on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cute as fiction, but in real life I'd say she's acting despicably.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...