Monday 28 October 2013

NaNoWriMo_2013 #1 The Warm-Up

As some of you may be aware, I did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) once before in 2011. The aim of the game is to write 50,000 words (an average novel is 100,000 words) in the month of November with the idea being that you would be well and truly on your way to having at least half of a novel. You can, of course, write more if you want to and your fingers haven't fallen off from typing. 

In 2011 managed to write just over 50,000 words in the given time frame and was very pleased with that. What have I done with it since? Very little. About a year later I showed the first chapter to my critique group and they said very nice things about it, but I'm still not happy with the structure of it. I won't bore you with the details, but it needs A LOT of work, so it's going on the back burner for now. The story is still playing around in my head and hopefully one day I'll sit down and rewrite it properly. 

Last year I was busy with flash fiction, so didn't do NaNoWriMo, but this year I've decided to give it a go again. However, I'm not trying to write a novel. I'm aiming to write 50,000 words of short stories. If each short story is 5,000 words, that's only ten short stories. My short stories aren't usually that long, so I guess I'll have to write a few more! I've been busy in October thinking of potential stories and characters and hopefully in November I'll be set to write, write, write! 

I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. Laura - ... I know you can achieve the 50,000 words required for NaNoWriMo, and with all your brilliant stories I am sure your intensive writing over the next few weeks will be well worth the effort. Good Luck ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Like Dorothy I have every faith and look forward to reading the finished product! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...