Monday 2 December 2013

NaNoWriMo_2013 #6 I'm a Winner

As some of you may be aware, I did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year. The aim of the game is to write 50,000 words (an average novel is 100,000 words) in the month of November with the idea being that you would be well and truly on your way to having at least half of a novel. You can, of course, write more if you want to and your fingers haven't fallen off from typing.

I decided to write short stories as I didn't feel like I had an idea big enough for an entire novel. You can take a look at my previous posts here to find out how I got on week by week, but in a nutshell I had a good first week, bad second week (mainly to being ill for five days), week three picked up a lot and week four was a bumper week. I actually finished on Wednesday 27th with three days to spare. 

People have asked me what happens now. Hopefully more than what I've done with my 2011 NaNoWriMo, which is nothing. I know, I know. I really should revisit it, or rewrite it, or something. This year, I'm going to leave the stories until the Christmas holidays, or January, and then I'm going to start editing them. They'll need a good amount of editing, I'm sure, as they're all first draft material. Once they've been edited and critiqued, well then we'll see. 

I hope everyone else who started this process finished, or is happy with what they have achieved. I truly believe that writing 20,000 good words, is better than 50,000 not-so-good words, so well done to those who have also achieved their own writing goals. 

2 comments:

  1. A fantastic achievement! Am looking forward to the edited stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Laura. Ride the momentum. Let the story finish before the never-ending editing and polishing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...