Friday 8 June 2012

Friday Flash Fiction - week 4!



A Chance Encounter

Zara met Rory, the latest recruit into her husband’s firm, at a cocktail party. It was a posh gathering in a hotel function room, with servers in tuxedos serving drinks and canapés of salmon.

“Mrs. Taylor, so pleased to meet you," his slow smile spread across his tanned face.
“Likewise,” she knew it wouldn’t be long before they became lovers.

The second time they met, she was wearing a dress cut so low at the back that in the right light a keen observer could see the rise of her buttocks. It was floor length, midnight blue, with a side split and a high neck.
She watched him go outside onto the balcony and a few moments later she deposited her empty champagne flute and followed.
“I thought I’d never catch you alone,” he said, still with his back to her.
“Quite,” she took the cigarette from between his fingers and inhaled deeply.
“Are you bored?”
The moon was full and lit the balcony as if by candlelight. “Dreadfully,” she replied.
“Let’s meet tomorrow. Under the clock tower at one.”
“Oh, how very Hollywood.” She smiled her consent.  

The following day was warm with a silky breeze. Built in 1416, the flint clock tower was in the centre of a bustling square. Outside tables were crammed with people drinking coffee and eating lunch.  

Delicately balanced on a nearby rooftop, the lone gunman had been told to watch for the kiss. Him first, then her. Orders were orders.
L. Besley

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Flash Fiction is short enough to read whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil. It's fairly quick to write too, but with it being so short, every word has to count. 


On 4th May 2012 I decided to embark on a project: to write a piece of Flash Fiction every day. I'm hoping this will keep the creative juices flowing and ultimately help me hone my craft. Every Friday I'll be posting 'the best of the week' onto my blog for you to read. If you have anything to say (good or 'constructive'!), I'm open to comments.  


Thanks, as always, for reading. 

12 comments:

  1. Ah. was wondering where it would lead. And by the way, I am certainly a keen observer when it comes to the rise of someone's buttocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Great, short read :) Nice writing!

    - Alex (New Follower) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thanks for reading and commenting! I've found you through BB and am your newest follower too!! :0)

      Delete
  3. This is really cool---and really hard. I think I'll try it, as being short and sweet is not my long suit. In doing this, have you come up with any brilliant ideas you want to flesh out in a book? . . . Don't answer that. I'll save it for one of my interview questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your interview, Penny!

      Delete
    2. Did we figure out how I can get my hands on your book?

      Delete
    3. Hi Penny,
      Sent you a message yesterday on BB - did you not get it? I have a UK kindle and you can't share between UK and US kindles - boo! Otherwise, I can send you a soft copy of my short story, and scan in one or two others for you. Would that be ok?
      - Laura

      Delete
  4. Hey! Stopping by from Parajunkee's blog hop, new follower via GFC, if you'd like you can find my FF Here.
    Thanks!
    Chrystina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrystina!
      Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Have been on your blog and am now a follower! :0)

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea for a writing exercise! I love this flash piece -- I'm intrigued, and I'm wondering who wants to shoot them and why. Great hook.

    I posted a piece of FF on my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    http://nickieanderson.blogspot.com/2012/06/short-stories-good-first-step.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nickie,
      Thanks for reading and for your comments. I read your story and thought it was brilliant! Your descriptions are so beautifully written. I tried to become a follower, but it was all in Chinese (because I'm based in HK), so will try again later and see if I can get it back into Roman script!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...